Kent's Long-EZ project

Thanks Kent

I did find something else in David Orr's library that answered some of my interrogations. The depth before the flow guide looked 3" or 4" deep and I was wondering if it was necessary to cut completely through the bottom floor and also cut the firewall. The installation shown is on a Vez and they do both. However on the Lez the carb intake sticks out low enough that it is not possible (or effective even if possible) to bury the NACA deeper. Klaus's article was showing foam being added from the original bottom up to the pre-fab NACA. I was wondering what were the guidelines to set the level and water line height of the bottom of the NACA (i.e. where the flow guide begins)?

22 hours ago, Kent Ashton said:

Here is the post.  I don't recall any other article.   https://www.canardzone.com/forums/topic/18661-kents-long-ez-project/?do=findComment&comment=67608

Klaus used to sell (maybe still does) a molded NACA inlet that was quite a bit wider than the standard one. 

In the Airventure 2024 Canard Bull session, Klaus mentioned that the molded NACA inlet is available from someone (was it aerocomposites?)--he gave them the tooling.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Aclouston said:

The depth before the flow guide looked 3" or 4" deep and I was wondering if it was necessary to cut completely through the bottom floor and also cut the firewall. The installation shown is on a Vez and they do both. However on the Lez the carb intake sticks out low enough that it is not possible (or effective even if possible) to bury the NACA deeper. Klaus's article was showing foam being added from the original bottom up to the pre-fab NACA. I was wondering what were the guidelines to set the level and water line height of the bottom of the NACA (i.e. where the flow guide begins)?

The NACA was an add-on and built-up on the bottom, which was not cut.  The point of it starts just behind the landing brake and the bottom edges of the firewall are extended down a bit to make the opening.  Google NACA INLET PLANS and you will see many diagrams.  Not hard to figure it out.  Basically it involves gluing 3"(?) urethane foam on the bottom with the shape required.   With NACA diagrams and builder pics, it should be easy to figure out.  The duct works OK but it was designed for use on the intake of jet aircraft and not ideal that far back on the fuselage.  There is discussion on whether making the point of the NACA wider will increase flow into it.  No opinion on that.

Edited by Kent Ashton

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

• 3 weeks later...

I see that Facet-Purolator is not selling the 40108 pump that a lot of us use--a commenter said they don't want the airplane liability.  Here is a cutout from a Van's post on how to adapt a 40135 model.

Screen Shot 2024-08-28 at 10.03.43 AM.png

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

• 2 weeks later...

I think Klaus sold the NACA molds to a composites company. The name eludes me, but I'm sure he'd tell you if you ask. Lightspeed Engineering is is company name.

Aerocanard (modified) SN:ACPB-0226 (Chapter 8)

Canardspeed.com (my build log and more; usually lags behind actual progress)
Flight simulator (X-plane) flight model master: X-Aerodynamics

(GMT+12)