Leak-proof gas tank

I just visited Dustin's Smith build relate of his Cozy (13 yrs) and one thing caught my attention. His quote: "Did everything I could to avoid leaks. wasnt enough though...  Right strake had 2 leaks along the leading edge, and left strake had a leak along the fuselage top edge and another near the fuel cap. I did install them on the top skin before I installed the skin."

That's is a bit scary and intimidating to say the least.

I don't have much more details ( or haven't read enough yet) other than he said he used EZ-poxy for thanks only. 

Another builder, Dave Schilder who has taken over 2-1/2 yrs to build his strakes seamed to have followed an elaborate build and testing method. His pages are so long I'm not sure I'll ever find patience to read it all. I did see "Marc Zeitlin's method" in there, but not sure what he is talking about. 

What are the main reasons for failing to create a leak-proof tank?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Aclouston said:

What are the main reasons for failing to create a leak-proof tank?

• Not ensuring wet layups inside the tank
  • Not ensuring wet 2-ply BID tapes at all corners
  • Not peel plying all edges inside the tank
  • Not using the "T-hat" methodology to increase top bonding area
  • Mostly, though, not ensuring wet enough flox and/or adequate flox squeeze out during installation of the strake top

Most strakes never leak, and leaks are always fixable, one way or the other.

• Like 1

Thank you Marc.

First three items, got it. Fourth, I think is self explanatory when I compare cozy open strake pics vs long EZ plans. (I should be abble to find the detailed method somewhere in here or in Coba).

Fifth: Are you aware if the plans or any cp's insisted on wet flox? ( I'll read again) or is this knowledge gained by experience?

Thanks in advance

Allan

• Like 1