O-235 engine

Aclouston

Wanting an O-235 in my plane and reading the instructions in the manuf. manual section IIL. My assumptions are that today:

1- it is still not possible today to fit a 235 with Bendix magnetos.

2- Dynafocal vs Conical should not be a deciding factor when a good engine comes up for sale (even if the project came with a mount).

3- An engine driven mechanical fuel pump is still unavoidable today, (for safety?)

4- if the engine came from a high wing plane with no mec. pump, best solution is to get an accessory case with machined pad, plunger timing gear and cam. (O-320 case).

5- Engine must come with a Marvel Schebler MA3-PA with acc. pump. (easy start in any weather). Otherwise it has to be primer pump installed on instr. panel.

6- if there is no provision for an oil cooler, I should avoid it. Not possible to retrofit.

Are all those assumptions still hold true today?

Given the opportunity, why would anyone not want a125hp O-235? Extra weight? Because they are all Bendix?

Thanks in advance

Allan

Return To Forum
Home   |    Contact Us   |    Copyright © 2024 - All Rights Reserved   |    Terms of Use   |    Privacy Policy
Powered By ClubExpress

15 hours ago, Aclouston said:

Wanting an O-235 in my plane and reading the instructions in the manuf. manual section IIL. My assumptions are that today:

1- it is still not possible today to fit a 235 with Bendix magnetos.

My knowledge of O-235s is very limited but I see that magnetos are available.  https://www.qaa.com/products/aircraft-magnetos/bendix-magnetos/bendix-magneto

3- An engine driven mechanical fuel pump is still unavoidable today, (for safety?)

I ran an O-320 using two Facet pumps--both for T/O, then one at a time-- and no mechanical fuel pump.   There was also enough head pressure to run the engine with the Facet pumps off but I did not test at full throttle, low altitude.

5- Engine must come with a Marvel Schebler MA3-PA with acc. pump. (easy start in any weather). Otherwise it has to be primer pump installed on instr. panel.

I would think that a primer would be a better option for a Canadian builder, it sprays the fuel into the intake just prior to the valves.  An accelerator pump puts it farther away in the intake and occasionally a backfire can cause a fire.  Cozy plans show an electric primer valve that is actuated to direct Facet pump pressure to primer fittings but a manual primer might be OK, too.

6- if there is no provision for an oil cooler, I should avoid it. Not possible to retrofit.

Based on my experience with other Lycomings, and oil cooler is necessary and some way to block it off in cold weather is needed.  I imagine it is the same with an O-235.

Given the opportunity, why would anyone not want a125hp O-235? Extra weight? Because they are all Bendix?

I hear O-235 parts are more expensive.  There are a lot more O-320s available (or at least, used to be).  An extra 25 hp (O-320) makes a lot of difference too, and not an O-320 is not hard to build-for.  I don't see any good reason to use an O-235

Return To Forum
Home   |    Contact Us   |    Copyright © 2024 - All Rights Reserved   |    Terms of Use   |    Privacy Policy