Corning Foamular 250 for Winglets

Byang

Hello! 

First time poster here! Currently working on a Long EZ, and was wondering if Corning Foamular 250 pink insulation board can be used as a substitute for the XPS PIB that ACS sells. Been doing some research online and haven't found any info in terms of aircraft construction, but know a few groups in college that laminates over the stuff for cars and RC planes. There's probably a good reason why this isn't being done, but the tech data seems pretty similar between foamular and the ACS stuff. Is it something worth looking into and testing? Would really appreciate some thoughts and ideas. Thanks! 

img_2_1727414150921.jpg

img_1_1727414143537.jpg

9 hours ago, Byang said:

Hello! 

First time poster here! Currently working on a Long EZ, and was wondering if Corning Foamular 250 pink insulation board can be used as a substitute for the XPS PIB that ACS sells...

The answer is "no". Insulation board is not appropriate. Stiffness is too low. See:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cmpages/styrofoam.php

which is effectively the same thing, and which I evaluated for ACS and made sure that they put a note on the page explicitly saying it's NOT appropriate.

Why not just use the correct material?

The top chart is the Styrofoam foam, and the bottom is the Foamular pink board. Compressive strength is higher with the pink Foamular board. Flex strength is not shown for the Styrofoam foam. Having worked with both, I suspect the pink board is actually "stiffer" than the plans material.

Regardless, the cells are MUCH smaller in the pink foam and would make bonding difficult (and the results questionable). The "Large Cell" in the Styrofoam product name is important because it easily allows the epoxy to form a strong mechanical bond between the foam and the fiberglass.

1 hour ago, Marc Zeitlin said:

Absolutely! Spare no expense when building airfoils to plans.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

3 hours ago, Marc Zeitlin said:

I understand that Dow no longer manufactures the blue styrofoam, and replaced it with a new formulation that doesn't adhere as well to epoxy, so long-term availability is a concern.  Did I hear wrong?

On the topic of foam:  It appears that Dow has recently changed the formulation of the blue polystyrene foams (tradename Sytrofoam) we use to make wings (see clip from Dow's website below). 

https://www.dupont.com/building/styrofoam.html

I do not see the large polystyrene blocks listed in the Spruce catalog.  No idea if the Low-GWP foam would be suitable and anyway, I do not see it in the size we need.  I see a few dock-builder suppliers that say they stock blue floatation billets.  Here is one, maybe they still stock them.

https://www.dockbuilders.com/shop-by-category/floating-docks/dock-flotation/dow-styrofoam-billets.html?gad_source=5&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpdXCku_jiAMV6GRHAR3GzgChEAAYASAAEgI3UPD_BwE

Screen Shot 2024-09-27 at 3.50.24 PM.png

Edited by Kent Ashton

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

16 hours ago, Kent Ashton said:

I do not see the large polystyrene blocks listed in the Spruce catalog.  No idea if the Low-GWP foam would be suitable and anyway, I do not see it in the size we need.

I'm unaware of any empirical testing of either the pink hardware store foam or the new Low-GWP foam.  Thus far, all I've seen is a comment here or there.

23 hours ago, Marc Zeitlin said:

Oh I will, just wondering why people don't use the stuff considering its cheaper and much more readily available. I now have my answer! I managed to find a supplier for foam in Kansas City, checked the TDS and its the exact same thing that ACS sells. Just gotta drive out and get it. Thanks for the help!

2 hours ago, zolotiyeruki said:

I'm unaware of any empirical testing of either the pink hardware store foam or the new Low-GWP foam.  Thus far, all I've seen is a comment here or there.

I've had the stuff that the OP posited in my shop. I've handled it and attempted to bond to it. It is not acceptable.

I have not yet tested the new formulation of the XPS - I'll buy a piece to test, although I suspect that there will be zero difference. The bond between the foam and the glass laminate comes from a mechanical bond between the micro and the pores in the foam, not from surface finish of the foam, although if the foam were made of teflon, that would be problematic. At any rate, by the middle of next week, I'll have an answer.

While it does not come in the same sizes as the original foam, it can easily be built up to work - it's not like the plane was carved out of a solid piece of foam in the first place.