Divincell H250 / Birch Ply Alternative?

AusEracer

Hi all,

The Divincell H250 seems very hard to get in my area an the alternative is the Lastafoam 18 ft/m3 however the Divincell supplier in my area mentioned that Pro-Balsa by DIAB might be an alternative.

I noticed that in some of the Rutan factory articles at some stage the R250 (replaced by H250 later) was being replaced with 3/16" ply for the bulkheads as it was too expensive in some kits. I have attached a screenshot for the article.

I wonder if Probalsa  is a suitable alternative to H250 and the lastafoam. I have attached the datasheets.

Probalsa is actually less dense with a higher compressive and tensile strength but lower shear strength than the H250. The reason I am interested in this is because I don't have to micro the bulkheads together with the smaller lastafoam sheets from A/C and just have one solid piece. Other than 3/16" ply being specified nothing else was mentioned in the newsletter such as the grade etc.

I am in any way qualified to analyse material data sheets so looking at everything at face value...just looking for feedback.

Thanks

Foam Substitutes from 1980 Letter 26.jpg

Diab Dicincell H.pdf Diab Probalsa.pdf